May 3, 2009

May ~ ruinous blue

I forgot you not.. Myosotis (pronounced /ˌmaɪ.əˈsoʊtɪs/;[1] from the Greek: "mouse's ear", after the leaf) is a genus of flowering plants in the family Boraginaceae that are commonly called Forget-me-nots. Its common name was calqued from the French, "ne m'oubliez pas" and first used in English in c.1532. Similar names and variations are found in many languages.
In literature Henry David Thoreau wrote, "The mouse-ear forget-me-not, Myosotis laxa, has now extended its racemes (?) very much, and hangs over the edge of the brook. It is one of the most interesting minute flowers. It is the more beautiful for being small and unpretending; even flowers must be modest." [3] In Evangeline, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote, Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of Heaven, Blossom the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels. (the Evangeline trail in Nova Scotia was a lovely drive) In his 1947 long poem "Notes Toward a Supreme Fiction," Wallace Stevens mentions the forget-me-not, using its scientific Greek-derived name: ...It observes the effortless weather turning blue And sees the myosotis on its bush." In the popular series [Harry Potter], [J.K. Rowling] frequently attributes nature and objects, generally attire, with the color "forget-me-not-blue" quoted from wikipedia a little greek music which I forget not..
free counters

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifully shot M~. Mouses ear - :) how lovely.

©M's❤2©♫ said...

Oh love I'm right behind you by minutes.
:) cute eh mousie ears.. not as clear as I would
liked they are very low using a new lens.. if any
crop up I hope to do better, thank you for your
lovely note, A xx

Anonymous said...

aww, they look right just as is, I say. X

Music♬lover said...

Thank you xox